Saturday, July 2, 2011

Being a Neighbor

Last night my wife organized a group to do yard work for an elderly couple who cannot take care of their property anymore.  The weeds around the house were as tall as me.  Their lot is surrounded on either side and across the street by homes with well manicured lawns.  Someone in one of those homes called the city about the overgrown weeds at this house.  In another universe all of those neighbors, instead of complaining, could have banded together to take care of their neighbor’s property themselves.  Jesus called that being a neighbor to someone in need (Luke 10:36).  But then we all have at one time or another averted our eyes and passed by a need.  As we packed up our tools to leave, my wife said to me, “Don’t you feel virtuous?”  I said, “I am virtuous by accident.”  My wife is the one who wants to save the world, one weed at a time, and I simply tag along with her.  She teaches me about being a neighbor.  We came home with new resolve to take care of the untamed parts of our property.

Be the first to like this post.

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment