Saturday, July 2, 2011

VBS Veteran

Here my Vacation Bible School materials are going back into storage for another year.  The tan drop cloths work well to create artificial walls, rocks or ground for Bible stories; or throw them over a ring of chairs to make a boat, with a blue tarp hanging from the ceiling for the water.  It’s amazing the little settings we have learned to create.  The hula-hoop served as the mouth of the whale that swallowed Jonah.  TS made the whale; he draped black plastic over a canopy frame and taped it to the floor.  About 35 children squeezed inside the whale’s belly during each rotation.  Each day had a basic message, focusing on a Bible character or teaching:

God made you (creation).God listens to you (Elijah).God watches over you (Jonah).God loves you, no matter what (Peter).God gives good gifts (Hannah).

This is the seventh year I have led the Bible teaching for the K–5 children.  I am a VBS veteran.  This year DB, pastor at the Lutheran church, helped with some of the lessons too.  She was the one who went into the whale with the children!  We had a great time, and I am sad now that it’s over.  If all the things I ever learn about God in my life are these five sentences, then that’s enough.  I love theology for children — it’s what matters most.

Be the first to like this post.

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment