Saturday, July 2, 2011

I Don’t Read Fiction Anymore

A Pulitzer Prize winning author of fiction… who doesn’t read fiction.

The conversation I’d longed to have with him since I first read him many decades ago, a conversation about fiction itself, died an early death.

“I’ve stopped reading fiction. I don’t read it at all. I read other things: history, biography. I don’t have the same interest in fiction that I once did.”

How so?

“I don’t know. I wised up …”

And with those three words he gave me a long look from those fierce eyes and then a significant glance at my notebook, as if to say: That’s what I want you to write down.

The author is Philip Roth, whom I’ve never read.  Years ago I read a few of the classic novelists: Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Jane Austen, Edith Wharton.  But today I cannot finish a novel to save my life, and I do not know why.

Be the first to like this post.

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment